At Proudfoot Plumbing Heating and Air, we don’t just care about the inner workings of our customer’s homes. Rather we care about our customers themselves! During this time of panic and uncertainty, we want to share the letter Johns Hopkins University shared on avoiding the contagion Covid-19 in hopes it helps you take better care of your wellbeing.
Covid-19 Protection via Johns Hopkins University
- The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. This mutates the molecule and converts them into aggressors and multiplier cells.
- Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
- The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
Heat, Alcohol, and Oxygen
- HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.
- Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.
- Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.
- Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol, and chlorine because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.
- NO BACTERICIDE SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; they cannot kill what is not alive with anthobiotics, but quickly disintegrate its structure with everything said.
Spread and Stable Conditions
- NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates). ), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic). But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours and can lodge in your nose.
- The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.
- The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
- Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
- NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
- LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.
- The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
Seriously, Wash Your Hands
- This is super said, but you have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.
- Also, keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.
For More Information from Johns Hopkins University
We know this is still a scary time. For more information on keeping you and your loved ones safe, click here.
Also, Proudfoot Plumbing Heating and Air is open 24/7 to help you during this time. If you’re in need of service, click here!